LIVE ONLINE COURSE
MANJULA IYER ex. Microsoft
LIVE ONLINE COURSE ON PLANNING EFFECTIVE PRODUCT LAUNCHES
21 FEB 2023 - 4 APR 2023
TUESDAYS & THURSDAYS
5 PM UK / 6 PM CET
ENGLISH (upper intermediate +)
A successful product launch requires more than just a great new idea. It relies on end-to-end product management – considering everything from customer needs to tracking success and managing potential risks.Join Manjula Iyer, VP of Product Management at 98point6, to learn the fundamentals of successful product management for the entire product lifecycle.
DO YOU SEE YOURSELF BELOW? THEN THIS COURSE IS FOR YOU.
YOU WANT TO EXPLORE A CAREER IN PRODUCT MANAGEMENT
Product managers often come from a variety of backgrounds – engineering, business, design, project management. Discover the different stages of product management and the skills needed for a successful career.
YOU WANT TO BUILD MORE ADVANCED PRODUCT MANAGEMENT SKILLS
Learn how to influence without authority and build credible skills to take your product management career to the next level. You’ll learn how to craft effective strategies, introduce improvements, and track your success.
YOU WANT TO JOIN THE ELITE RANKS OF PRODUCT MANAGERS
Curious about the skills needed for senior product manager positions or how teams operate at companies like Google and Microsoft? Gain a deeper understanding of the full product lifecycle and how to develop robust strategies, pricing models, and risk management plans.
PREPARE TO ACCELERATE
Never skip a beat.
A successful product launch needs a lot of pre-planning. Learn how to approach each stage of the product lifecycle as you dive into customer needs, MVPs, risk management, finance, and metrics.
Tips and tricks direct from the industry.
Prepare for your next career move by developing a toolkit of product management frameworks and strategies. You’ll also get the chance to practice interviewing and get personalized feedback from an industry pro.
ABOUT THE COURSE
Learn how to design and launch a product from the ground up. With clear strategies and measures for success, you’ll discover what’s needed to build a product that customers love.
TOOLS & STRATEGIES
Develop your own toolkit of product management techniques and frameworks to use in your career. You’ll learn to build a robust product strategy, pricing models, risk management plans, success metrics, and more.
Get ready to land your dream job in product management with a bonus mock interview session at the end of the course. Manjula will provide you with personal feedback and help you build your own brand as a product manager.
- VP of Product Management at health-tech company 98point6.
- Led Product Management teams at large-scale companies like Microsoft, GE Healthcare, and Sears Home Services, as well as high-performing startups.
- Experience launching products from the ground up, scaling existing products, and pivoting failing products to become successful.
- Demonstrated skills in leading multidisciplinary teams across geographies, driving growth and profitability, improving processes and efficiency, and handling large budgets.
- Academic background in computer science, with multiple patents and papers in high-performance computing and mathematical modeling.
TUE (2/21), 5 PM UK/6 PM CET
What is Product Management?
Dive into the world of product management as you learn about the day-to-day responsibilities of a product manager and why the role is necessary.
- The importance of product management
- The role of a product manager
- Different phases of a product lifecycle
- Cross-functional leadership and managing stakeholders
THU (2/23), 5 PM UK/6 PM CET
Values in Product Management
Discover the technical skills needed to succeed as a product manager and the building blocks of an effective product team.
- Influence without authority
- Clarity in roles and responsibilities
- The importance of decision-making
- Running effective meetings
Consider how you would establish credibility with senior team members as a new product manager. Describe your plan of action during the first week, month, and quarter of your new role.
TUE (2/28), 5 PM UK/6 PM CET
Fundamentals of Product Management
Learn the basics of defining a product (vs. a great technology idea).
- What is a product?
- Identifying customer pain points
- SWOT analysis
THU (3/2), 5 PM UK/6 PM CET
MVP in Product Management
Don’t try to boil the ocean! Learn how to create an MVP (minimum viable product) that lets you fail fast and adapt.
- Assumptions and hypotheses
- Preview stages: alpha, beta, private and public
- Getting an initial set of users and customers
Think about developing a file-sharing service in a regulated industry such as healthcare or finance. Define the MVP for your product, stating assumptions and hypotheses.
TUE (3/7), 5 PM UK/6 PM CET
Building your Product
Learn how to create a product vision and roadmap – in collaboration with engineering teams.
- Product features, requirements, and stories
- Roadmapping and prioritizing
- Product management methodologies
- Using epics, specs, roadmaps, and backlogs
Develop a one-year roadmap for the file-sharing service. Share a backlog for Q1, Q2, and H2. Pick one feature and write a one-pager outlining requirements.
THU (3/9), 5 PM UK/6 PM CET
Build your customer and develop personas to better understand their needs.
- Understanding and evaluating a customer segment
- Defining personas and their needs
- Customer development
Look back at the MVP you developed for assignment #2. Describe the customer segment and define your target personas.
TUE (3/14), 5 PM UK/6 PM CET
Conceptualizing the Solution
It’s time to start thinking about the solution. What does it look like? Can users easily do what they need to?
- Wireframes, mock-ups, and prototypes
- User studies with real customers
- Workshop: A/B testing
Pick one of your target personas. Draw a wireframe for the user experience of one user sharing a file with multiple users. Consider permissions, authentication, security, and validation.
THU (3/16), 5 PM UK/6 PM CET
Metrics for Product Management
How can you define success? Learn to set criteria for the product and align with internal stakeholders.
- Choosing product metrics
- Popular metrics frameworks
- Tracking metrics
- Aligning metrics across an organization
Define the metrics for the file-sharing service you’ve been creating. How would you track these metrics? Next, choose your favorite smartphone app and imagine you are the product manager. Define 3-5 metrics that you would want to track for the app.
TUE (3/21), 5 PM UK/6 PM CET
Building a Product Strategy
Explore how to bring a product to market, including the keys to customer onboarding and support.
- Designing a go-to-market strategy
- Global rollout
- Training and onboarding users
- Providing support, documentation, and FAQs
THU (3/23), 5 PM UK/6 PM CET
Fundamentals of Finance for Product Managers
Learn the basics of finance for product managers and understand how to read a profit and loss (P&L) statement.
- Understanding financial statements and the balance sheet
- Creating a business case
- Managing a P&L
- Determining pricing models
Create a tiered pricing model for your file-sharing service.
TUE (3/28), 5 PM UK/6 PM CET
Despite everyone’s best efforts, products fail. Here’s what to do when that happens – and the steps you can take to avoid it.
- Why do products fail?
- Developing a risk management plan
- Testing, audits, and inspection
- Quality control and assurance
Develop a risk management plan for your file-sharing service (optional).
THU (3/30), 5 PM UK/6 PM CET
Succeeding in a PM World
In this final class, you’ll gain career advice and tips on landing a job or promotion in product management. Learn how to demonstrate your value and impact.
- Building your brand as a product manager
- Getting a product management job
- Managing a team of product managers
- Maintaining trust and credibility
TUE (4/4), 5 PM UK/6 PM CET
Bonus Class: Express Interview Practice
Each student will have five minutes with Manjula for a mock interview (one question) with time for feedback.