LIVE ONLINE COURSE ON CAPITALIZING ON YOUR CREATIVITY
2 MARCH 2023 - 11 APRIL 2023
TUESDAYS & THURSDAYS
5 PM UK / 6 PM CET
Learn how to create self-supporting and powerful campaigns. Join Joy Li De Meulemeester, Creative Director at McCann New York, for a 6-week online course that will make your ads go viral.
DO YOU SEE YOURSELF BELOW? THEN THIS COURSE IS FOR YOU.
Is your mind overflowing with creative ideas, but you struggle with executing them? Create a completed integrated campaign, expand your portfolio, and learn the key to concepting along the way.
Is your excitement to be creative, dampened by little experience? Learn by doing whilst being directed by Joy Li De Meulemeester! This course will directly prepare you for your first job by teaching you how to get your ideas noticed and taking you through each step of producing a viral ad.
Creating is easy! But managing…not so much. Explore how Joy, who has lived all over the world, brings a whole team’s creative ideas together. And practice these methods during the course as you work in teams to exchange constructive criticism, improve presentation skills, and craft creative materials.
YOUR ASCENT STARTS HERE
All you need is a little inspiration”- Said no professional ever.
The people behind viral ads focus on briefing, ideation, techniques, and collaboration. Let us welcome you to your instructor, who will teach you what the experts are really doing.
You’re likely tired of online courses that make huge promises but leave you stranded afterward. We’re here to fix that.
As your coursework gets professionally reviewed, you’ll also be able to expand your network and be in close contact with an acclaimed art director the entire time.
ABOUT THE COURSE
The leaps from a brief to a big idea to a campaign may seem unclear. Learn how to bridge all gaps in your ads with Joy Li De Meulemeester’s award-winning strategies.
Advertising is always evolving. Learn the newest methods that will make every campaign a successful campaign. Find out the untold ways agencies make their clients go viral and then apply these creative assets to your own campaign.
Create an eye-catching portfolio that will get you hired. Joy will instruct you on how to pursue agencies that align with your style and maintain consistency in your personal brand.
Joy Li De
- Associate Creative Director at McCann New York.
- Revered for her features with top-tier media companies such as Adweek, AdAge, The Drum, Campaign, StopPress, Fast Company & many others.
- With over 13 years of taking the lead in diverse creative roles her clients range from FMCG to finance and from fashion to sports on local and international levels.
- Experience with a nomadic lifestyle has given Joy the cultural dexterity to build a diverse & inclusive body of creatives that tactfully reflect different cultures and stories.
- A self-taught conceptual CD that has mentored with One Club, earned multiple Drum Awards, judged at New York Festivals, and whose art is represented by Illustrious Worlds.
JOY LI DE MEULEMEESTER COURSE INTRODUCTION
THU (3/2), 5 PM UK / 6 PM CET
Defining Art Direction
Step into the shoes of an Art Director at an ad agency to get a deeper understanding of the required skills for the role.
- Art director vs other creative roles
- Art direction in advertising vs other industries
- Essential skills and standard tools
- Creative sources of inspiration
Creatively locate 1-2 pieces that inspire you and add them to the shared creative inspiration sheet. You can refer to blogs & other artists but try to think laterally and avoid Instagram, Pinterest, and Behance.
TUE (3/7), 5 PM UK / 6 PM CET
Creative Advertising: From Start to Finish
From an art director’s perspective, you’ll follow each step involved in developing advertising campaigns while manipulating insights that will turn them from good to great.
- Ad campaign analysis
- Types of media channels
- The creative process from start to finish
- Case studies: Top ads in different categories
THU (3/9), 5 PM UK / 6 PM CET
Learn how to decipher “the brief” through firsthand experience. You’ll dive into insights and brand strategies that can be applied to your creative process.
- Unique selling propositions, target audiences, and brand-defining ideas
- Asking the right questions
- Sources of inspiration
- Cliché vs trend: tropes to avoid
TUE (3/14), 5 PM UK / 6 PM CET
Learn the art of concepting quickly while mastering the differences between cultural insights and ideas.
- Compare good ideas to great ideas
- Proof of execution: print, social, TV, film, OOH, activations
- How to use the concepting techniques
- Case study: Classic techniques and best-in-class work
- Workshop: Brainstorm responses to the brief
Review a new brief for an ad campaign and produce 3-5 ideas. Include them in a slide or in a white paper.
THU (3/16), 5 PM UK / 6 PM CET
Concepting in Action
Execute your new concepting skills to generate story-driven ideas. Discover more concepting techniques and learn to combat common drawbacks.
- Getting out of a rut
- Crafting a compelling story
- Award-winning campaigns
- Case studies: Classic techniques and best-in-class work (continued)
Continue to revise ideas and craft executions in your campaign. Come up with 1 lead idea and mock up 1-2 print executions you feel strongly about (either on paper or through digital software).
TUE (3/21), 5 PM UK / 6 PM CET
Feedback and Mentorship
Receiving feedback and creating go hand in hand. Learn how to give, receive, and handle feedback and critiques from various sources.
- Efficient feedback methods
- Giving feedback to your team
- Mentoring other creatives
- Receiving feedback from your clients
- Workshop: Break out into groups of 3-4 to pitch lead ideas and give feedback as a group.
THU (3/23), 5 PM UK / 6 PM CET
From Ideation to Presentation
Directly use your skills to create presentations designed to sell creative work.
- Elements of a good deck
- Coverting your ideas into design
- Creating brand identities
- Case studies: examples of VBIs
Apply the feedback from last week’s workshop to improve your assets. Assemble a 3-5 slide presentation, a mood board (style guide) to pitch your creative idea to your peers.
TUE (3/28), 5 PM UK / 6 PM CET
The Big Pitch
Learn how to pitch ideas to leadership and sell creative content to clients.
- Making good ideas great
- Selling to a client vs selling to your boss
- Presentation framework
- Finding your distinctive presentation style
- Workshop: Break out into groups to practice your pitch. Be prepared to share your deck with others.
Assignment #5: Course Project: 360°Ad Campaign
Continue to craft and shape your lead idea by revising mock-ups, refining copy, and pushing executions to be more creatively engaging. Submit a slide deck with a 360° campaign, including human insights, the idea name and write-up, 1-2 print ads, at least 1 additional execution, and a mood board (style guide).
Alternative option: feel free to build out the campaign for your own case or brief.
THU (3/30), 5 PM UK / 6 PM CET
Craft and Production
Focus on how creative ideas come to life in front of consumers while analyzing campaigns crafted by top performing Art Directors.
- The importance of craft
- An art director’s role in the production process
- Creating a PR hook
- Case studies: Great PR campaigns
Based on the example discussed in class, craft a PR headline for your campaign. (extra credit)
TUE (4/4), 5 PM UK / 6 PM CET
The Key to Collaboration
Learn methods to collaborate with other creatives both inside and outside of an agency.
- The role and function of a creative leader
- Working with other artists
- Collaborating with a copywriter
- Departments in an ad agency
THU (4/6), 5 PM UK / 6 PM CET
Composing Your Portfolio
Embrace your own style as an art director in advertising that will be reflected in your portfolio.
- The Cannes Board format and examples
- Building a digital portfolio
- Approaching a portfolio review
- Common traps that recruiters see through
Assess your portfolio and pinpoint any areas for improvement. If it’s complete, add your course project to your portfolio.
Submit your portfolio for review and comment on what has been or should be improved. (extra credit)
TUE (4/11), 5 PM UK / 6 PM CET
The Formula for Interviewing and Networking
By the end of this class, you’ll know how to navigate your network, expand it, and use dependable techniques to nail your next interview.
- Career path options
- Interview hacks
- Network navigation
- Creating a bio for yourself